Welcome to Reception 1 and 2’s Class Page 2020-2021!
Here you will be able to look at photos of our learning in Reception and keep up to date with our class newsletters.
We have been working very hard in Phonics and have now learnt all the Phase 2 sounds!
Have a go at playing the game (linked below) to practise the sounds you have learnt. You could use your Phase 2 sound mat (Google Classroom) to build words, c-a-t, t-a-p.
Light and Dark
Our Topic for this half term is Light and Dark. We have been busy learning about Space, creating planets and using our imaginations to be Astronauts in the Space Station! We have looked at 2D shapes to make our own shape rockets.
We have been learning about Autumn!
Reception have been learning about the Seasons, looking closely at the changes we can see outside now we are in Autumn! We have enjoyed creating hedgehogs using leaves we collected in our outdoor area and have been busy outdoors on an Autumn Leaf hunt!
Our topic for this half term is Light and Dark.
This week, the children have been learning about Diwali, the festival of lights. The children made diya lamps using clay.
We have enjoyed learning about different explorers and going on our own exploration to Kingfisher Island.
Have a go at exploring your local park. Look out for signs of Autumn, we would love to see what you find!
Christmas in Reception
Below is a list of skills that will be useful for children starting Reception, encourage your child to attempt the things mentioned, but don't worry if your child can't do all of them.
- greets adults
- talks to other people about familiar objects and events
- answers and asks simple questions including how and why
- makes needs known, practise speaking to less familiar people
- follows simple instructions using first, next, then
- joins in singing familiar songs
- listens to others and responds appropriately
- uses scissors to cut along a straight line
- enjoys a variety of indoor and outdoor play
- can put on and take off jumpers, shoes, socks,
coat and fastenings independently -no laces
- uses utensils to eat independently
- uses the toilet independently
- can say own name and talk about members of their family
- can sustain interest and finish a task, tidying up afterwards
- plays cooperatively with other children - shares and takes turns
- can sit still to listen to a story
- uses books for enjoyment or for looking at pictures
- identifies pictures in books, magazines, on television etc
- makes predictions about what will happen next in stories
- uses a variety of things (pens, pencils, paintbrushes, sticks)
to draw, to mark-make or to write
- writes first name with 1 capital letter at the beginning only
- counts out 6 objects from a group
- recognises numerals in the environment
- uses words such as many, a lot, more, less
- identifies things in a group that are different
- sees differences in and identifies shapes
- differentiates between opposites - up and down, under and over, in front and behind, day and night
Understanding of the world
- is curious about the world, encourage new vocabulary.
- observes similarities and differences
- can share an adult's attention with several other children
Expressive arts and design
- makes and designs things using a variety of materials
- participates in imaginative play
- uses circles and lines to represent objects when drawing
- selects and uses particular colours for a purpose
On the day
Allow your child to carry out morning jobs independently, let them take responsibility for their belongings. Children take their cues from adults- to ensure the best start for your child use the language of excitement about school- motivate them to share their learning and make things to bring home.
At the end of the day ask your child “What did you learn today?” to develop the language and emphasis on learning rather than behaviour.
*We ask that children do not bring toys from home to school.
Our daily routine includes fine motor activities, phonics, child initiated learning outside and indoors during which adult-led skills activities and observations are led and taken, topic based learning, and a mathematics session.