Maths Subject Intent
We believe that children deserve a creative and ambitious mathematics curriculum, rich in skills and knowledge, which ignites curiosity and prepares them well for everyday life and future employment. Our mathematics curriculum will give children the opportunity to:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and preserving in seeking solutions.
- Apply the principles of concrete-pictorial-abstract teaching.
- Can communicate, justify, argue and prove using mathematical vocabulary.
- Develop their character, including resilience, confidence and independence, so that they contribute positively to the life of the school, their local community and the wider environment.
In order to help us deliver our curriculum, we use the HfL Essential Maths resources. These allow us to tailor the learning to our children and apply assessment opportunities throughout teaching and learning sessions:
- Destination questions are used with lessons to assess children’s understanding of what they have just learnt.
- Diagnostic assessments are used to determine retained knowledge; these are then used to inform future planning in order to fill knowledge gaps and secure prior learning.
- Talking frames help to scaffold children’s ability to communicate their understanding of their learning, referencing relevant vocabulary.
A love of Maths is fostered by regular inter-class competitions using our Times Tables Rock Stars resource: children and classes are celebrated in assemblies.
Year Group Teaching Overview
Progression of Skills Document
Link Governor Visit
Our Maths Link Governor, Mr Xu, had a virtual visit to the school this term. He looked at Maths displays and received feedback from a Pupil Forum organised through Google Classroom. You can have a look at his virtual tour below.